15 September 2008

Twilight Zone

Before today my daughter, the born girly-girl, was all about the princesses.

Favorite color? Pink. (Even when she was a baby if I gave her a choice of something pink or any other color she chose pink every single time).

What did she want to be when she grew up? A princess (That, thankfully, has changed to "animal doctor" and "mom").

When she was 2 she had a pink, frilly nightgown emblazoned with the word "princess" in silver glitter that she wore every.single.day for about 4 months. Yes, she wore it to preschool. And when she wasn't wearing it, she was carrying it around.

She's, in turn, LOVED Cinderella, Belle from Beauty and The Beast, Jasmine from Aladdin and Ariel, the Little Mermaid. We lunched with the princesses at Disney World (Flynn wore her yellow Belle dress).

Princess, princess, princess.

"Mommy," she said today, "I don't like princesses anymore."

I didn't know what to think or say.

"Except for Ariel."

Whew.

For a minute there I thought I'd stepped into The Twilight Zone or Invasion of The Body Snatchers (Who are you and what have you done with my daughter?).

Now it's all Star Wars all the time.

She could not avoid it: it's in her DNA.

And there's a princess.

6 comments:

The Fearless Freak said...

Good! Finally someone to play Leia instead of MT. She gets so angry when she gets assigned that role. She wants to be Chewie if she is in the mood to play (although, post Clone Wars, she will accept being Padawan). Otherwise, we are full on Batman here :)

Anonymous said...

Leia's my favorite princess anyhow. I bet she'll look great in buns.

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Did our kids get switched? Mine who never liked the princesses all of a sudden is planning a princess party for her 5th birthday (10 months away). I let her watch Cinderalla and now she's all about the princesses. How did that happen?

But we haven't been forced to buy any paraphenalia yet, luckily. But we have been making paper crowns. You know, for all the girls to wear at the party.

Quigs78 said...

The husband is convinced that Pretty Girl is going to be his video game/programming partner. She plays with Bubba's trains and cars and carries a doll around by her hair.

We'll see if that changes, but I'm so okay with it if it doesn't. :)

The Fearless Freak said...

Baby MT, I'm telling you. That is what I'm going to start calling her, you watch LOL

Anonymous said...

your kids are so funny i may have to start stealing their material for the new sketch/performance group I'm in!! (not kidding)