25 September 2008

Sickness and Snoring

Evan is home sick today. Apparently, he has whatever virus making the rounds at school. I picked him up early yesterday and took him to Convenient Care. The rapid strep test was negative and we were given the "lots of rest and fluids" spiel. So. As I type this, he's holed up in my room reading up on knights and medieval life.

In other news, in spite of two big mugs of coffee I am dead tired. Seriously, I could take a nap. I should not be this tired as I got more sleep last night than I have the previous two.

On a slightly tangential note, did you know how big a difference a new pillow can make to a snoring husband? A lot. Frank snores and it's something I've mostly gotten used to over the past thirteen years. But there are nights when it's not just the volume of the snoring that drives me out of our bed. In addition to his nasal cacophony, Frank has a tendency to moan like a Scooby-Doo villain or Frankenstein's Monster in his sleep.

Believe me when I say I have tried kicking him and/or shoving him to get him to stop, but that man sleeps the sleep of the dead. And the snoring and moaning just. doesn't. stop.

And it's bloody irritating.

When one's bed pillow can be folded in half like a taco and it stays that way, it's time for a new pillow (I think that's something Martha Stewart taught me. That, or I read it in a magazine.). No wonder Frank was raising such a ruckus; he was basically sleeping on a relatively thin piece of fabric and getting no support for his head. I realized this yesterday and remedied that with the purchase of said new pillow.

Last night? A very brief bout of snoring, but no moaning.

And tonight I'm hitting the hay as early as possible.

2 comments:

Mommy, Queen Of Everything said...

I hope you're just tired and not coming down with Evan's crud.

What do you do when your husband refuses to purchase new pillows? Mine has had his since like 1983. I'm afraid to even touch them!

I hope Evan feels better soon.

Quigs78 said...

Poor Evan. I'm glad it wasn't strep though - that kicked N's ass last week. But it's also difficult to not get a diagnosis and to just wing it with a sick kid, too.

I hope he feels better soon and that the rest of the fam stays healthy!