09 January 2008

Using My Noodle

I occasionally peruse Hungry Girl's website and found these little beauties - House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles. I know, I know, tofu noodles don't sound very appetizing. But I thought I'd give them a whirl since they contain 20 calories, 0.5 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber per serving.

Finding these "exotic" confections was easier than I thought, which I discovered after scouring a local Asian food store. Our local Meijer store carries them in 2 widths, spaghetti and fettuccine. I bought a couple bags of the spaghetti figuring I could maybe coerce Flynn into eating them.


So tonight I fixed the tofu noodles for dinner. I used them in a teryaki shrip stir-fry with broccoli, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and a little garlic. The noodles are insanely easy to fix: drain, rinse, pat dry and microwave for 1 minute. Ta da! That's it. I pan fried them a little in a small bit of veggie oil and drizzled them with dark sesame oil before mixing them in with the shrimp and veg. These "noodles" are more slippery than regular pasta, but Flynn gobbled up her plain noodles and said they were good. Evan proclaimed dinner to be "Awesome!"

Score 1 for House Foods tofu noodles! I will be using these in the future and am anxious to try other recipes.

1 comment:

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I'll have to give those a try!

Where were they at Meijer's? I don't shop there that regularly so I never know where to find things. But they do have a great selection of organic and vegetarian items.