04 January 2008

How Can Chocolate Taste This Bad?


After picking up my daughter at her Friday a.m. Park District program, we headed over to a local international grocery store for a couple of things. While we were shopping she picked up a small candy bar and asked if she could buy it. I said ok mainly because I was hungry and figured she'd share a bite with her ol' mom.

As we're walking to the car she asked if she could have her candy now, please. I mentioned before that I was hungry, right? So, of course, I said yes. She whipped the wrapper off so fast exclaiming, "Ooooh, I get chocolate!"

"Can I have a bite?", I ask.

"Sure, Mommy."

"Thanks, sweetie."

I take the bar and bite off a small bit. I wish I'd had something to spit it into because it was foul, foul, foul. Gritty. Not pleasant at all.

Flynn thought it was good.

My daughter and I have very similar tastes when it comes to candy. We both love chocolate. Where my 4-year-old and I differ is that I tend to be a bit more discerning. Not just any chocolate will do.

I make allowances in my daily diet for chocolate and I want that piece to be extra special good. Why would I want to consume some crap piece of chockie just to satisfy a craving for sweets? No. I realized last year as I began my "getting back to normal" regimen, that if I want something sweet, it has to be worth it. I also realized that I'd developed a craving for dark chocolate, something I'd never really wanted before.

Chocolate has to be good and not all of it is. My husband prefers Hershey's. I'd rather have Cadbury's or Milka for milk chocolate (they're both creamier than Hershey's) and I love Newman's Own dark chocolate. It has excellent mouth feel and a taste that's not too bitter. Dagobah organic dark chocolate is good, too. Dark chocolate is "healthier" for me because it has flavanoids or whatnot in it, but that's not why I like it. Dark chocolate's flavor lingers in my mouth much longer than milk chocolate and doesn't make me want to eat more. One small piece satisfies my sweet tooth the way an entire bar of milk chocolate can't.

So once Flynn and I got home I washed my mouth out with a piece of Ritter Sport dark chocolate. Mmmm.....

2 comments:

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I love good chocolate! My husband like M & M's and Hershey's, which I think are boring and not worth the calories (but I wouldn't turn them down!). I think that the best bang for your buck is Dove: very smooth and creamy!

Amy said...

Only true chocolate lovers like the dark stuff. My father loved it. The Poo also prefers the bittersweet stuff to milk chocolate.

Not me. I like a good milk chocolate truffle, Belgian preferably. MMMMM.

Now I totally want chocolate. You suck. :)