05 January 2008

Baby Fever

No.

God, no.

Not me.

My kids. More specifically, my 6-year-old son.


I attended a baby shower this afternoon and he was disappointed he didn't get to accompany me. He honestly likes baby showers and he adores babies.

A while back he asked if we were going to have any more kids in our family. I said, "Daddy and I are happy with the way things are." A nice way of saying, "no way", I thought. Frank and I have had the "do we want another baby" discussion and came to the conclusion that 2 is enough.

"I want a big brother and a little brother who will play with me and Flynn's only the little sister. She needs to be a big sister," said Evan, working every angle he could.

"You are the big brother."

"I know, but I want to be a bigger brother."

This all started over the summer and has continued pretty much non-stop.

You see, Evan's friends are getting more siblings (one friend became a big sister for the 3rd time in Sept., and one of his best friends has 2 little brothers and will have a baby sister this spring) and family friends are having babies left and right. Apparently, we need to share the love and make our family bigger and since Evan is knowledgeable about adoption, he's keen to take in every child in the world that needs a home. He actually wanted me to search for adoption sites online so he could locate his big brother. I find this behavior rather endearing and admirable, however, we're not about to adopt a child just because Evan wants one.

Evan also says that he wants to be a dad to 100 kids. I told him maybe he should be a teacher when he grows up (he looked at me like I was crazy since it's a well known fact that he's going to be an astronaut and then a zoo keeper).

And I'll tell you as I saw those little tiny clothes and baby things being passed around today, my arms did, fleetingly, ache for a baby. A little.

Then I remembered all the work that goes with the sweet and, frankly, I don't want to do that again.

Now, if I can just convince my son...

No comments: