08 January 2008

An Exercise In Restraint

When I picked my daughter up from preschool today she said she wanted quesadillas for lunch, "from that resternaunt [her pronunciation] we went to that one time." She meant a local Mexican place that serves awesome food. I was only too happy to oblige since a) she suggested it and would eat and b) we had errands to run before coming home.

The service is fast and friendly and the food is bang-the-table-with-your-fist good though it's terribly unhealthy (I'm sure the refried beans are made with lard) and I'm very glad the menu does not list each item's nutritional content. Ignorance is complete bliss.

We ordered our lunch - the "Speedy Gonzales" for me (the meal consists of a taco, an enchilada and rice or beans) and the aforementioned quesadillas for Flynn. While we waited for our lunch to arrive we munched on the complimentary chips and salsa. The salsa is so good, I could drink it from a cup (then I guess it would be gazpacho but whatever). Flynn, of course, won't touch salsa with a ten-foot pole, so the bowl was all mine. Oh, yeah (cue Yellow's song - you know, the one from "Ferris Bueller"). Flynn ate both of her quesadillas and downed her glass of milk like they were going out of style.

I'm kinda proud that I did not eat the entire basket of chips or bowl of salsa.

And I did not lick my plate clean.

2 comments:

Amy said...

o hand it to Chambana - there is some damn good Mexican in this town. And if this pregnancy is anything like my first, I won't have to satisfy my Mexican cravings with Taco Bell!

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

WE had El Torrero the other night. My daughter ate an entire cheese quesadilla, I should have ordered her two! And she ate a ton of chips and salsa. I've got to order this more often for her!