03 January 2008

Pain Is Not My Friend

I don't know what I did, but I've fracked up my leg but good.

It all started on Christmas Eve day when I woke up with a sore Achilles tendon and achy hamstring. I worked out anyway but didn't run. I did the stair-master thingy that looks like a flight of stairs to nowhere. 25 minutes of that and I was knackered - more so than running 4 miles. Later that day my hamstring/upper quad/glute on my left leg was still sore. A week later, the dull ache was still there. I've occasionally gotten these little aches, but I work right through them and they go away. Until now.

Yesterday I did something stupid - I ran on my sore leg. I made it 2.5 miles and had to stop, it hurt so much. I walked another mile or so and then stretched. The pain was enough to make me feel nauseous. Tylenol took the edge off, but not by much. A soak in a hot bath and more stretching (mostly a yoga pigeon pose) helped a little last night and this a.m. my leg just felt tight, like I haven't stretched in a while.

Now when I extend my left leg any more than about 30 degrees, I feel that strong pull in my hamstring. If you've ever had a muscle cramp, you'll know what I'm talking about. But my muscles aren't cramping.

Maybe I've pulled something? I dunno.

Any ideas/suggestions?

No comments: