01 February 2008

Stupid Is As Stupid Does

Just a couple of things I did this week that prove the brain's ability to make good decisions does not necessarily mature at 25:

1. You may recall that a few weeks ago I injured myself while at the gym. Well, since then I've been taking it easy on my strained hamstring. I've been working out on the elliptical machine and the incumbent bike and my leg had been feeling better. Better enough for me to think on Tuesday I could run again. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I walked for a mile.5 then decided to run for half a mile. That felt ok, so I continued to walk another half mile and then ran another half mile at a little faster pace than the previous then slowed down to walk another mile or so. After I got off the treadmill I could tell the injury was back in a big way. Walking hurt. A lot. I didn't know that a strained muscle is a pretty major injury and that when I was pushing it I was actually causing a lot more harm than the initial strain. Looks like I'm off the treadmill for the foreseeable future.

2. This a.m. while making a mix disc as a party favor for my son's impending birthday bash, I inadvertently included a song that drops the f-bomb. I was listening to the disc while I was making the liner insert when I thought I heard, "I don't give two fucks about your review." Whoa, did I just hear what I think I heard? I checked for the lyrics online and sure enough, I was right. I've since taken that song off the play list. At least I caught this snafu before I gave the discs out to 7-year-olds, unlike the disc I made for Flynn's last birthday when I included Elton John's "Island Girl". Who knew that song was about a hooker? I certainly didn't until I'd heard it about 40 times. By the way, the song in question was the excellent "The Modern World" by The Jam.

Those are the two main examples of my stupidity this week (I'm sure there were many more). And there will be more to come.

3 comments:

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Some of my favorite songs are too savory for young ears. And that's a shame, since they have a good beat.

But you know I loved a lot of songs as a kid that I only recently figured out what they were about.

I used to go to Skateland ALL THE TIME and I loved Centerfold by the J. Giles Band. Hello! It's a wonder I became a feminist!

Jenna said...

Watch that hamstring. It takes a long time to heal...just when you feel better is when you shouldn't push it.

We just make sure we 'accidentally' turn the music down or shout something loud during our favorite songs with naughty words.

the sandwich life said...

I've given up trying to keep those words unheard. The boys just refer to them as "Daddy's bad words" and reprimand any and all who use them....so I guess our failure sort of succeeded

good song by The Jam....