10 February 2008

It's Good To Be (Mostly) Back

The good: my kids are healthy (knock on wood) and have remained so despite the fact that...

The bad: my husband was ill with the flu from last Sat. evening until, well, he's still got a cough but went back to work on Thursday.

The ugly: I came down with said flu beginning on Wed. I could not get warm to save my life. I mean I was teeth-chatteringly cold and shivering even though I was wearing a sweater and had a blanket draped over my head. Thursday I woke up and called in to preschool telling the director I wasn't taking my daughter anywhere because I didn't want to spread my sick germs to the other kids. Then I reversed that position and headed straight to convenient care for a rapid strep test. My throat felt like I was swallowing shards of glass and I wanted to be sure. The test came back negative and the doc told me to try Theraflu, an OTC concoction that she takes when she gets sick. So, off to the grocery store I go in search of Theraflu, Co-Co Wheats (excellent comfort food), and movies. My daughter and I rented 3 from the Red Box dispenser at our local County Market: Hairspray (the new musical), a SpongeBob video, and a collection of animated storybooks (if you've not viewed any of the Scholastic Video collections, you should). Once we were home, I changed out of my yoga pants and t-shirt back into my comfy jammies, fixed up some Co-Co Wheats and Theraflu, grabbed our videos and high-tailed it to the cozy confines of my bedroom. Flynn settled in next to me and we watched movie after movie. I got up only to change the DVD or get something for Flynn to eat and/or drink. I think I dozed off during SpongeBob. And I definitely snoozed during "Ralph S. Mouse". Luckily, it was not my day to drive for the carpool to bring Evan home from school and Frank came home early from work bringing dinner.

Friday I had Flynn stay home from her park district program and she and I loafed around - she playing quietly downstairs while I stayed in bed for most of the morning. I have to say, she was a real trooper while her 'ole mom was not fun to be around.

Yesterday, I had more energy and could actually breathe through my nose (quite an accomplishment, I assure you). Flynn even said, "Mommy, your voice is back to normal today." So what did I do? I hosted a birthday party for my son at the local children's museum. My 2 kids plus 14 others. It was fun - the kids had a blast and best of all, they weren't at my house. And we were home before 1:30 in the afternoon. Not fully recovered, I retired to the bed to rest. I didn't actually sleep since Evan and I played Lego Star Wars on the X-Box 360 for a while. Flynn played with her Polly Pockets next to us.

Today finds me more energetic than yesterday, but still occasionally hacking up a lung between loads of laundry, picking up toys, and helping Evan when he gets stuck building a Lego contraption. I'm not 100%, but I'm getting there.

My husband's kind of surprised that I'm up and about quicker than he was. I'm not. I'm a mom. 'Nuff said.


Leeanthro said...

Moms don't get sick days! Glad to hear you're walking with the living.

I kept waking up last night with my throat on fire because my nose was completely clogged. I hope it doesn't get worse. I have a very busy week.

Mom said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I've been dodging the bullet for a couple of weeks and I'm just not sure how much longer my luck will hold out.

Lego Star Wars started an obsession at our house. My Evan thought it was cool until Christopher started asking a million and one questions that he couldn't answer.

Hopefully, Frank is feeling better as well. Evan is really looking forward to game night.