28 January 2009

A Realization

I just came in from shoveling the driveway. Normally, Frank handles these things but since I'm a 'can do' kind of girl and the kids wanted to go out and play I thought I'd tackle the task at hand.

Boy, was that a dumb idea. The act of shoveling was not difficult (I sent my "helpers" on an expedition to find the sidewalk, otherwise they'd help me like they help their dad; Evan throws snowballs and Flynn makes snow angels. Apparently they found dinosaur bones in the snow), but I came to realize the following:

1. I need some serious snow boots. What passes for snow boots for me are really just glorified rain boots and have no insulation whatsoever. Any suggestions?

2. Some snow pants would be nice. My bum is freezing.

3. Our snow shovel is an absolute piece of rubbish. I cleared most of the driveway with a small shovel meant for a child because the end of our adult-sized shovel is pretty much non-existent. Seriously, it looks like it's been held over a fire; it's all ragged and melted, worn away from scraping against the concrete of the driveway.

After about an hour of this, Evan and I had cleared the majority of the driveway (Flynn came in after being out for about 45 minutes). Frank can handle the rest.

Now I sit here, typing away, listening to a song mix for a friend, nursing a well-earned mug of hot cocoa (with lots of tiny marshmallows).

But at least I can pull the van into the garage without getting stuck in the driveway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a pair of ski pants on sale last year (at that ski/outdoorsy place in town- they are Whitesierra brand) and boots- Columbia brand)They are awesome! I used the snow blower today to do our monsterous driveway and long winding sidewalk.I was toasty warm for the hour I was outside with my "helpers."
We "Burke girls" don't wait for any man to do what we can!!! Way to go Super Girl!
Kate

Amy said...

I saw a dude shoveling today ... while SMOKING.

Duuuuude.

We bought a snowblower. We here Wisconsin is, like, snowy.

Mommy, Queen Of Everything said...

I'd give my eye teeth to have a snowblower. You know if we bought one it would never snow again!

The Fearless Freak said...

Because I'm cheap, I bought my snow pants on year end clearance at Farm and Fleet. Now is the time to go. We pick a pair up for TB at 25% off but the selection is limited.

I got my boots at Payless because they were the only place that had anything that met my requirements. I wanted flat soles (why do so many boots billed as "snow boots" have heels? Insane), warm lining and no laces. Other than being just a smidge big, they are perfect. My feet stayed nice and warm while I helped RF shovel the drive yesterday :)

Jason said...

I would recommend getting one of the "ergonomic" shovels... they really make a difference for me (but maybe just because I'm 6'1").

I'd love to have a snowblower, but I've heard nothing great about the electric ones, and I don't need another gas engine to fuel & maintain.