11 June 2008

Utter Laziness

My kids have been at karate day camp this week and so far, it's been glorious (except for last night when Flynn, who was beyond exhausted, went completely Chernobyl because I asked her to brush her teeth).

Today was my day to luxuriate in being kid-free for several hours - no pressing errands or housework.

Frank and I went for coffee this morning after dropping off the kids. An iced vanilla latte never tastes as good as when it's shared with conversation and the excellent company of my husband.

Then off to the gym where I put in my miles - this time on the treadmill, after a 1/2 mile warm-up on the elliptical. For the first time since January I'm able to run without pain. It was glorious. While I was running (I'm taking it easy, which is sooooo hard - I just want to flat-out sprint), it occurred to me that a year ago being able to run a mile without stopping was something I didn't ever think I could accomplish. Now I can run over 4.

I did some window shopping at the mall. And stopped in at Macy's where I picked up a very cute set of earrings and a necklace, indulging my inner 4-year-old. Flynn told me I need to wear a necklace every day and I think she's right. I also found some cute clothes for the kids on clearance, for this summer and next Fall/Winter.

At home I had some lunch, checked e-mail, threw a load of laundry in the washer and did something I haven't done in over seven years. I turned on Sirius Radio's "First Wave" early alternative music channel on the satellite, grabbed my book, and settled into our easy chair to pass a few hours reading, the breeze blowing in through the open windows occasionally ruffling my book's pages.

And even though my current reading selection isn't completely engrossing, I can hardly think of anything better to do when I'm by myself.


Listening to music and reading is pretty much how I passed lazy summer (fall, winter and spring) days during my childhood/teen years/early adulthood. Before we were parents, Frank and I would spend our weekends lying around reading comics and/or other books. And then I became a mom and all that solitude went right out the window.


It was sheer deliciousness being utterly lazy and alone, if only for a little while.

Psst, I'll let you in on a little secret: I'm something of an introvert. No. Really?

Now the kids are home after a fun-filled day at camp and are currently vegging out on PBS kids and I'll tuck this day away in my memory for days that are a little harried, hectic, stressed out.

And this day will be a calm, soothing tonic for my frazzled nerves.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

sounds so nice...enjoy.

the sandwich life said...

oh man....that sounds like heaven...

Lavender Lemonade said...

mmmm...I can almost feel the breeze. It sounds delicious. Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your lovely afternoon.