15 November 2007

"Put on your pants/'Cause you just might want to dance"

Every once in a while I get a CD that I can't get enough of. An album (does anybody make albums anymore?) gets its hooks in me and I play it over and over and over. Gwen, remember the semester of C+C Music Factory?

Over the years my musical obsessions have ranged from Adam Ant, to the soundtrack to the movie Amadeus, to Vivaldi's
Four Seasons, to U2, to the Smiths, to the B-52's, to said music factory to Beck's Odelay which, no kidding, was in the stereo for something like 5 years. I'll also add ABBA, the Carpenters, the Osmond Family (specifically Donny and Marie), and much later Death Cab for Cutie. The Beatles are a constant, just part of my life, and therefore I've never obsessed about their music. My affairs with certain artists or bands can be short-lived (like C+C Music Factory) or extend into decades (like Beck and Mozart).

My latest earworm comes courtesy of Denmark - a group called Junior Senior. Their second disk, Hey Hey My My Yo Yo, is tons of fun - complete and total candy; sweet and has no nutritional value at all. I call it "roller skating music" because the songs really take me back to the late-70's/early-80's when I lived in my skates (duh). When you hear these songs, colored lights flash will flash in your mind and you will want to get up and shake your boo-tay.

The lyrics are completely shallow (the title for this post is one of their lyrics). Junior and Senior are no Lennon and McCartney and certainly no George Harrison but they don't want to be. To paraphrase Cyndi Lauper, they just want to have fun. Their infectious old school white-boy rap disco and dance beats make your feet itch to dance. And if it couldn't get any better, Kate Pierson and Cindy Wilson of the B-52's guest on one of the tracks. Yipee!

Check out Junior Senior's my space page: http://www.myspace.com/juniorsenior. They showcase a couple of their videos - one which actually has people roller skating in it!

Enjoy!

No comments: