29 November 2007

My Dirty Little Secret

I am a stay-at-home-mom, which implies that I am also a housewife (and all of the chores that go along with that moniker). I totally enjoy being home with my kids and wouldn't have it any other way. However, I can safely say I hate housework as much, if not more, than the next person.

Dusting? Bah!
Scrubbing the toilet?
Ugh!
Picking up a million
Legos and Polly Pocket clothes? Arrgh!

I have no qualm doing the laundry or loading or emptying the dishwasher and I love to cook. My answer to the housework conundrum is to not do it. Come closer and I'll tell you my secret.

Psst, I hired a cleaning lady.


Do I feel guilty having another person clean my house when I'm the one who should be doing it (it's part of my job after all)? Yes, I do feel a little guilt. But then I figure my main job is to take care of my children. I'm not a fastidious person by nature (as my neat-nik sister can attest), neither is my husband and I inherited my father's clutter gene so I need all the help I can get when it comes to keeping house.

My angel swoops in twice a month and I do the picking up between visits. She does everything: cleans the kitchen (including the floors), dusts, vacuums, makes the beds (even though I tell her she really doesn't have to do that), cleans the bathrooms and generally makes my house look fabulous. Smells good, too, since she spritzes a little lavender-vanilla room spray around.

She'll be here in a couple of hours to work her magic.

And I couldn't be happier.

5 comments:

Kirstin said...

Hi-I'm a fellow CU (working) mom. Don't feel guilty--you're doing what you need to do to take care of your family! Don't suppose you're willing to share your angel's name and rates? We've just moved here this summer and I'm enjoying reading local blogs to learn more about the area and find things to do with my 2 year old.

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I have a cleaning lady, too. One Saturday when my first was about 6 months old, it took about 6 hours to clean the bathroom with interruption after interruption. That was it. My time is so much more valuable. Ours comes every other week and is so reasonable ($15 an hour). And since we both work, it's money well spent.

But I do wonder what I'm teaching my daughter. She says "I'm cleaning like Becky." Maybe I'm teaching her that women have better things to do.

Best thing we ever did for our marriage and family, especially since time is at a premium.

Amy said...

Please, for the love of God, someone please help me find a cleaning lady!

Misc said...

My cleaning lady's name is Lynda and she cleans my 2-story house for $88 (every other week). I'd be happy to pass along her number to you if you email me (marquart@insightbb.com).

Unknown said...

I too have a cleaning lady twice a month and don't feel the least bit guilty about it. She needs work too, right? My husband does not clean at all, so there really was no choice.